Thursday, December 30, 2010

WOW What A Game!

Football is by far my favorite sport.  The intensity by which it is played can, at times, have you routing for both teams simultaneously.  Tonight's game between Tennessee and North Carolina was just this kind of game.  The game was so intense the referees where calling, reviewing and then re-calling many of the closing plays.  Well, the closing of regular play that is.  Did I mention they went into overtime?  I sat on the edge of my seat yelling at both teams for mistakes, successes and flagrant penalties.  The starting quarterback for Tennessee is no less a freshman, and a local boy.  This young man was amazing to watch.  He played valiantly.  He played with tenacity.  He played with the heart of a champion.  In my opinion there was only one problem; he lost sight of what was ahead and focused on the success that was already behind him.  There was a point in overtime where he clearly was celebrating his touchdown throw into the end zone.  You could almost tell by his body language that he was sure that on this evening, he couldn't be beat.  But beat he was.  On the next drive by Tennessee this amazing quarterback threw an interception and North Carolina went on to win the game.  Disheartening...yes.  Disappointing I am sure, but never less valuable.  
Valuable in this; I have at times been so focused on my past successes that I loose sight of what is ahead of me.  Proverbs 4:25 says, "Keep your eyes on what is in front of you, looking straight before you."  I have thrown interceptions, fumbled the ball, and run the wrong way because my eyes were not focused on what was ahead.  There are times when I feel like my life has the intensity of a well played football game and then there are times when I seem to be ahead of the game somewhat.  In both times however I desperately want for my focus to be the end zone.  Or as Paul said in Philippians 3:14 "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  
There is one major difference between the game of life and the game of football.  In football the win or loss is rooted in the performance of the players.  In this game that we call life the win is based on the owner of the team, Jesus Christ.  The game in fact is already won.  We are just waiting for the game clock to catch up with the scoreboard.  There is only one team that will win the Superbowl and there is only one team that will be given the prize of life eternal.  Go Jesus!


Blessing to be called His.

No comments: