Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Resolution?


Every year at this time we hear over and over again about New Year's Resolutions made.  Oh most of them are pretty generic.  You know the old; "To eat healthier," "To read more," or my personal favorite, "To lose weight.  There are words spoken like, "This year I am going to be kinder," or "I am going to get done everything I didn't do last year."  I am sure all these are spoken with the utmost sincerity, but statistics will tell you that by the end of January most resolutions have been broken.  In fact they are not only broken they are forgotten.
What if this year instead of making a resolution that even if accomplished will only have lifetime effects, we make a resolution that if kept will not just effect your tomorrows but will have eternal consequences?  What if this resolution also had a ripple effect?  That by the end of the year your loved ones could stand back and marvel at the person you are becoming.  What if this resolution grounded you in truth and inspire others?  Does this sound daunting?  Out of reach?  Impossible to accomplish?  I have GOOD NEWS!
This resolution takes two to accomplish it.  One of the individuals has never failed at anything.  He is always on time, always on task, and always true.  He is faithful, merciful, beautiful, graceful, loving, understanding, patient, and so much more.  He cannot be beaten.  He cannot be persuaded to give up.  This individual is Jesus.
The second man, or woman, in this case is you.  What do you bring to the table?  Nothing more than a willing heart that says..."This year my resolution is to know Him more."  A whisper spoken from a faithful heart will start the ball rolling.  You don't have to offer anything more than what you possess right now.  What can you give to this New Year's Resolution?  A few minutes a day?  An extra 10 minutes before bed?
I know one woman who started her journey to know Jesus by setting a timer for 1 hour.  When the timer went off she stopped what she was doing and asked, "Jesus? Are you there?"  Then she would listen.  She would record in a note book any thought, feeling, or impression she received at that very moment.  To read some of her responses was comical.  There was one that read, "Put pineapple on the ham before baking."  Then there were others that would bring a tear to the eye of the most harden of hearts.  "My hurt is so deep it is cutting into others.  When I open my mouth I slice them open with the pain I feel.  Lord heal me!"  GOD replied "I've already started."  You see, this resolution is an easy one because the responsibility doesn't just rest on your shoulders.  If you will give it the smallest amount of effort, the gains will astound you.  He takes your effort and He multiplies it by His power...Kaboom!  In the process of knowing Him better other things start to take place.  Hurts are healed, sicknesses are cured, lives are restored...miracles happen.
My resolution this year....To know Him more.  How about you?

Blessed to be His!

No comments: