Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Struck By Oncoming Traffic

The simplest lessons in life are sometimes learned in the middle of potential disaster. That is what I found out yesterday. It was a beautiful day where I live. Almost 70 degrees, sun shinning, birds chirping, the kind of day that in a perfect world could exsist everyday. So I decided to go for a walk just me and Jesus. No ipod, iphone, and definitely no dogs. I wanted my focus to be Him and Him alone. "Ahhh this is grand" I thought. The day was so bright that it just seemed as if everything was waking up after the long winter's slumber. While I was in deep conversation with Jesus concerning some restoration in my own life I became acutely aware of someone following me. I could hear their rapid approach and considered my options. I live out in the country and was walking in the middle of an orange grove so running to the nearest house was not an option. Besides I would die of a heart attack from running before I ever made it and that would have taken all the fun out of killing me for the Boogie Man. I had only one option from my perspective, stand my ground and fight for all I was worth. As I looked around for a weapon, a stick, a rock, something to use with force, I realized it was too late. My attacker was on my heels. Their shadow came into full view and as it did I realized this was not the shadow of a man but a shadow of a dog. As my heart thumped in utter fear, I turned around only to find my own German Shepherd Sadie standing right behind me. Oh my word was I relieved. That relief however quickly turned to frustration. This was supposed to be my time alone with the Lord and she invited herself by jumping the fence. Well what was I to do except welcome her to the walk that was initially designed for one. We sauntered along at a pace that was enjoyable to both of us. As we neared the road it dawned on me that I didn't have a leash which could potentially be a disastrous thing. I have trained my dogs so at the command of "keep" they are to take their spot just behind me and keep there. As we approached the road I barked (get it...I barked) out the command...KEEP. Sadie quickly responded by whipping her head around and taking her place right behind me just off the road but still closer to the road than myself. We walked along the fairly busy country road for about 150 feet before I heard the blare of a horn. I turned to find Sadie not where she was suppose to be, which would have been by my side, but instead I found her walking along in the middle of the road. I quickly called her with what I am sure sounded like pure panic in my voice. She quickly came to my side. "Wow! That was a close call" I said as if she could understand me. I began strategizing how I could put myself between her and the traffic that was ensuing. So I decided to move her over to the other side of me where she could walk safely in the weeds of the field that we were walking along side. So I pointed to the field and called out the command again...Keep. She went to where I pointed and started trotting along as if she hadn't just experienced a near death event. As I turned to cross the road and head back down my street a neighbor pulled up behind us. He stopped for a moment and said, "That dog is going to get you killed. Why don't you put her out street side." My reply went something like this, "Oh no I couldn't possibly do that. She might get hit. I love her too much to watch her die. I don't want to lose her." Ah the truth of that tiny little conversation with my neighbor rang with the clarity of the Liberty Bell. I know Sadie is just a dog and her life is not worth my own. Sound familiar? Just as I am just a human and not worth the life of Christ. And yet He was willing to take the hit for me. Why you might ask...well because "I love her too much to watch her die. I don't want to lose her." You see when Christ came to earth He chose to walk street side. He chose to take the hit for me. He chose to lay who He was and His position aside to save my life. Funny thing is He did it to save yours also. John 3:17 says "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."
This morning as I was sitting with Him in the midst of my quiet time Matthew 10:27 came to mind. It says..."What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." So here it goes...JESUS loves you so much He took the cross for your sake. Now the only question left is this...How are you going to respond to what you just heard?


Blessed to be His!
Kim


Side note...I love this quote but I can't remember where I heard it. "If you haven't met Satan face to face it may be because you are traveling in the same direction."

No comments: