Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Do








I got a haircut today. Why is it that at times, a hairdresser is better than any therapist I know. It feels so good to have an updated do. As you can see I was trying to take a picture with my phone so that I could send it to a few ladies who I use as my true earthly north for times like these. You know the ones...they are the friends that when you show them that cute little dress you just bought say, "Tell me how much it cost and we'll tell you if it was it worth it,". Or you might see them walking very close behind you, so close you are uncomfortable only to find out later they did it because your pants were too low or your shirt was too high and your leopard print undies were showing. (I know you men can't relate) Anyway, I wanted to get their true opinion of my new do. So I started snapping a few pictures. You can can tell by these pictures what a good photographer I am. As hard as I tried either my angle was wrong, they were blurry, or not centered. Ahhhh! I had almost given up when I snapped the last photo. Finally the right perspective. It reminded me that sometimes even when I am trying my hardest my focus is all wrong. Or as much as I try to be centered I am skewed just a bit both in what I see and what I think others see. About 6 months ago I was working in Sunday School with the kids and a boy who I consider my friend walked in. Noah (his name has been change to protect the innocent) has Aspergers which is a form of autism. Because of his Aspergers he will often say what he is thinking without much of a filter. I was standing in the hall as he approached. With a smile on my face I greeted him with a lively, "Hi Noah. How are you doing today?" To which his reply was, "Hair." As he said that one word he had a look of disgust on his face. I quickly took an account of his hair and couldn't tell that it was out of sorts at all. "You're hair looks good Noah" was my reply. His grandma who brought him in that morning put her hand on the top of his head and brushed his hair to one side in an effort to make him feel better about it. He pulled quickly away from her hand. "Bad hair day," were the next words that fell from his mouth. Wanting to help him adjust to whatever he was feeling about himself I quickly said in a light hearted cheerful voice, "Noah, your hair looks great. I like the way it looks today. You are not having a bad hair day." He looked up at me with an expression that was saying, "how stupid are you lady" and said..."Not mine, YOURS!" Oh how I laughed. You see when I left that morning I was thinking my hair looked pretty good, but according to Noah I was mistaken. According to him my perspective was out of focus. I wonder how many times I walk out the door thinking I look good while others look at me thinking..."bad hair day." Better yet how many times have I looked at others and declared in my own self promoting opinion "bad hair day."
We have a choice every day what leaves our mouths, and unlike Noah, we can control it. We just often choose not to. The Bible says that out of the heart the mouth speaks. It also says in Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." You see I believe when we decide to get our mind right our speech will show it.

As I spoke to 50 children last night about being a blessing or a curse I was left with the feeling that an inventory needed to be taken in my own life. Have I chosen today to center myself, bring Christ into focus, and then shoot from that perspective.

My hair? Oh it will grow if I don't like it. New do's are always fun. My words however can have a life-time affect on others. I think I am going to make an effort to give my mouth a "new do." To speak positively to others about who they are...new do. Help make the best of every situation by encouraging others towards goodness...new do. Build up both the Body of Christ and those who have yet to know Him...new do. I have a lot of new do's planned for my life. Hopefully people will get a better perspective of me from my new do's than my camera did of my hair.




Blessed to be His!

Kim






No comments: