Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Dreaded Hangover


You know the feeling. The holidays seem to bring out the worst when it comes to my most harmful habit. Yes you guessed it...my name is Kim and I am a food-aholic. And after the holidays I am suffering from the dreaded hangover of my actions. My extra fluffiness is now hanging over the waistband of my pants along with several other clothing items. Over indulgence in any earthly thing, in this case food, is never good. As I sit here writing I have to ask myself, "Why?". "Why do I always seem to fall back into this pattern that is unproductive and really so destructive. While others can see the consequences to my physical self, no one will really know about the damage to my inner self. Feelings of failure, disappointment, and defeat are just to name a few of the emotions that are associated with any stronghold that is holding on strongly. Like most other people I have a decision to make. Let my past dictate my future or let God's vision for me dictate my path. My past is not a picture of health. It is one of continued over indulgence and lack of exertion of energy. I know some of you can relate even if it is not in the area of food. Who knows maybe it is dealing with anger or exaggeration? It maybe even something as common as shopping. You see, when we have an area in our life that gets the best of us instead of us getting the best of it, and it happens on a continual basis, what we have is a stronghold.
I have chosen that my recent failure to give this stronghold over will not drive me into despair but will motivate me right back into the arms that are strong enough to break chains. The loving arms of Christ accepts my failure and replaces it once again from that which is mine to that which is His. In fact when He hung on the cross it was for this very kind of thing. You see it was to demonstrate to us and to Satan that He had power even over death. I am thinking if He can conquer death He can conquer this little habit of over indulgence. So I will not try to change myself. I Will Not! I have tried before and it has not worked. In fact I have tried for 40 some odd years and it has yet to work. I will instead ask that He makes some core changes within me. That He fills the place where food once held. That He will guard my spirit from Satan's attacks. That He will free me once and for all of the stronghold that has held on so strongly.
I don't mind being transparent here with you my friends because I know so many of you struggle with your own strongholds. I say we give Jesus the opportunity to link by link free us from all that encumbers. Romans 6:22 (MSG) says, "But now that you are found you don't have to listen to sin tell you what to do, and have discovered the delight of listening to God telling you, what a surprise! A whole, healed, put-together life right now, with more and more of life on the way!" I love this! I don't have to listen to whatever drives me back into the place of bondage but can DELIGHT in listening to God. Whenever I have thought of trying to break this stronghold my mind has taken me to places of discomfort. "It's going to be so hard. I have never been able to beat it before. I will have to give up to much." These are just a few of the thoughts that come to mind. However, the Word of God says I can delight as I listen to God speak to my deepest need. I will chose to celebrate His goodness, faithfulness and power. Thinking less on my humanness and more on His Holiness!


Blessed to be His

No comments: