Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Hot In The Kitchen!

Jalapeno Corn Bread with Plum Pepper Jelly
I found a recipe for Jalapeno Cornbread that I wanted to try.  I love the flavor of jalapenos but am a whimp when it comes to the heat aspect of them.  So I made a few changes in a recipe I found to make it more palatable for me.  I had to chuckle when God reminded me how often I have tried to change His word to meet my "liking."  I am sorry Lord....You always know what is best for me.

Jalapeno Corn Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup oil, butter or bacon grease
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
Directions
   1. Heat bacon grease just until it starts to smoke then remove from heat.  I do this in an     
      iron skillet.  Add jalapeno to the hot grease and stir until it stop sizzling.
   2. Mix the buttermilk and eggs together.  Slowly add hot oil to buttermilk mixture while   
       stirring constantly.
   3.  Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
   4.  Mix the dry ingredients in to the wet.
   5.  Pour the Mixture into a grease 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated 375F oven 
        until a toothpick pushed in the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.

No comments: